Sunday, November 20, 2011

Ask a Scientist

As part of our Week 2 graduate work, we created a question to pose to a scientist via the "Ask a Scientist" website.  My question for the scientist was "How are receptors in cells able to identify and process “communication” in the cell?”

The website stated that it did not have an archival answer, so I forwarded the question to a real life scientist.

As of today, I have yet to receive an answer to my question.  While I am waiting, I believe that I will begin my own research.

In regards to the use of this website in my classroom, I can imagine that it would be very useful, especially in the realm of enhancing the inquiry process.  Many of my students have difficulty asking high order questions.  This would allow them to enrich their skills in a forum that is supportive and real.  Also, being able to ask a real scientist adds a sense of empowerment in their education.  Perhaps it will encourage them into pursuing a STEM career.

Nevertheless, this a valuable resource and look forward to using it - both as a teacher and as a student.

No comments:

Post a Comment